Pages

Banner

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Jamie Oliver Chicken in Milk



Whenever I need to feed a big group of people and do not want to spend too much time in the kitchen, I go to this recipe.  It is very easy to make, the only work involves pan frying the chicken, and some cutting.  Everything else is then poured into  oven-safe casserole and bake till you are ready to serve.

Who knows that milk and chicken can give you such satisfaction.

The only thing to take note is frying the chicken.  The last time I gave my sis this recipe verbally, I told her to pan-fry till it brown.  So she skipped this step at her discretion.  It ended up her dish has a thick layer of yellow liquid floating on top.  Quizz her further than realised that's the chicken fat that should have been take off after pan-frying.

The photo was taken during my recent vacation in UK, cooking for my friend's family. The original recipe uses whole chicken but I used thigh which is relatively cheaper there!  :-)

Also, I added vegetables (whatever I can find in the fridge which happen to be carrot and fresh mushrooms) to make the meal complete.



Chicken in Milk

1.5 kg chicken parts
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
olive oil
½ stick cinnamon
1 good handful fresh sage, leaves picked
zest of 2 lemons
10 cloves garlic, skin left on
565 ml milk


Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.

2. Marinate chicken with black pepper and fry it in a little olive oil, turning the chicken to get an even colour all over, until golden. Remove from the heat, put the chicken on a plate, and throw away the oil left in the pot. This will leave you with tasty sticky goodness at the bottom of the pan which will give you a lovely caramel flavour later on.

3. Put your chicken back in the pot/casserole with the rest of the ingredients (including vege if you are using), and cook in the preheated oven for 60min. The lemon zest will sort of split the milk, making a sauce  which is absolutely fantastic.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Mary Moh said...

Hi Diana, hope you had a great trip to UK recently. Wow....you even cook on your vacation here! Love your dish. Sounds so easy. Never knew milk and chicken pairs up well. Jamie Oliver's recipes always look very easy. Thanks very much for sharing. Hope you have a great week.

Rumbling Tummy said...

Looks easy. Next time I have a big party, I will try this.

Cookie said...

Mary,
the holiday was great! I hope to find the energy to do a post on the vacation soon!

Edith,
thanks for dropping by and hope you like it.